5.2 Assign a Sustainability Representative
Having someone within an organization who represents sustainability as a core agenda makes good sense due to the accessibility, performance, financial, and other benefits which can occur from following best practices.
- Ecological Referee: Choose and assign an ecological referee (with specific digital expertise) for the product or service within your organization.
A referee will maintain quality assurance and guide decisions that measurably reduce the environmental impact of the organization’s digital products and services.
They will maintain intersectional data privacy standards and potentially watch out for legal compliance issues within the organization.
- Social Equity:
A representative will help to reduce the digital divide and improve access to information for visitors with older devices, in low-bandwidth areas, and so on. This reduces emissions as less e-waste will be produced if the need for newer equipment becomes less of a priority.
The sustainability representative will help the organization improve issues surrounding barriers to access. These inherently could cost bandwidth, have a monetary value, and have potential legal implications.
A dedicated resource who maintains quality control will ultimately improve the organization’s financial standing.
- materials: Medium
- energy: Medium
- water: Medium
- emissions: Medium
- Microsoft’s sustainability team and journey.
- Chief sustainability officer
- Does Your Organization Need a Chief Sustainability Officer?
- Organizing for sustainability success
- [RGESN] (French) 1.8 – Sustainability Representative